Monsegur Night Market, Local farmers showcase their produce.

Monday 18 October 2010

Time to Harvest those Apples

A Very Special Apple

My wife presented me with an apple that was growing on a tree where she works, it really impressed me to the point where I felt the need to share it with you.

Now let me point out that the bowl and mug are average size, this apple is one of the biggest I have ever seen and weighing in at 1 lb it is a bit of a monster.  I think that I will save this apple to make into something nice this weekend.



Stewed Apple with Yoghurt and Sloe Syrup

One of my favourite recipes is for spiced stewed apple with yoghurt and either sloe or blackberry syrup.



Recipe

Peeled and quartered apples, enough to fill a large saucepan, around 1kg.
Unrefined can sugar
Ground mixed spice containing cinnamon, coriander seed, dill, ginger, cloves and  nutmeg.
Natural yoghurt
Sloe or Blackberry syrup,  you can use honey or maple syrup instead.

Place the apples in a saucepan adding 2 tablespoons of water, with the lid cook on a high heat until steam appears and then reduce the heat to medium until the apples start to soften, then add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of the spice mix and stir. Once some of the apples have dissolved and there are still some whole slices remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

Once cooled the stewed apple can be kept in a fridge for 1 week in a sealed container.  Place the stewed apple in a bowl and cover with yoghurt, then drizzle over your choice of topping.

 


No comments: